Join Sherlock Biosciences in our mission to improve health outcomes worldwide.
We’re transforming diagnostics by building a culture of inclusion, openness and innovation with a pioneering team of technology, disease area and industry experts.
To learn about Sherlock’s current openings, please see the listings below. To apply for a listed position, please email email@example.com.
Manager Intellectual Property
Sherlock Biosciences, an exciting new diagnostic company based on next-generation CRISPR and Synthetic Biology technology platforms, is seeking an outstanding individual to manage the company’s intellectual property portfolio. Sherlock is building a talented team with a mission to engineer and launch molecular diagnostic products across a range of impactful healthcare applications.
The Manager of Intellectual Property will evaluate scientific technology for patentability and analyze the value of inventions that are developed by the company. She/he will provide in-house legal counsel involving intellectual property rights and serve as the primary point of contact for all matters associated with our IP portfolio as you develop IP strategies and policies. You will need experience in patent law as it pertains to early stage life science Intellectual Property in order to maximize the IP positions for future commercialization.
- Develop, plan and execute an IP strategy including procurement, enforcement and risk assessment.
- Review and draft a variety of agreements such as: licenses, research, technology, material transfer, revenue sharing etc.
- Render opinions on validity and infringement issues involving 3rd party patents or applications
- Review any contractual arrangements, including publications and posters or any materials which include any IP provisions.
- Involvement with all copyright, trademark and litigation matters.
- Ensure government reporting compliance.
- Keep management up to date on current patent laws involving preparation, prosecution, defense and enforcement.
- Help develop a “patent process” to assist inventors/researchers so that all “discoveries” are identified and protected.
- Complete other IP related duties as assigned; act as liaison with outside counsel when needed.
- In addition, you will assist with other non-related legal documents (such as NDAs and general contracts) as needed.
Qualifications and Experience:
- J.D. degree with a B.S./M.S. or Ph.D. (preferred) in a scientific field. Non-J.D. degree will be considered if you are a Registered Patent Agent.
- Must be licensed to practice law in the U.S. (MA preferred) as well as be USPTO registered.
- Minimum of 5-8 years of experience as an in-house patent counsel in a Biotech start-up environment handling all aspects of Intellectual Property involving patent portfolio management, IP licensing, trademark and copyright laws. Law Firm only experience will be considered.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft office and IP databases.
- Able to communicate to all levels clearly, concisely, and effectively.
- Have sound, ethical judgement and a strong work ethic.
- Proven track record of success in this field.
- Specific knowledge of CRISPR technologies highly desirable.
Senior or Principal Scientist
Sherlock Biosciences, an exciting new diagnostic company based on next-generation CRISPR and Synthetic Biology technology platforms, is seeking an outstanding Senior Scientist or Principal Scientist to lead product development teams to engineer and launch molecular diagnostic products. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the planning and execution of research and development activities and contributing to strategic direction of new products. In addition, the successful candidate will help drive the innovation of the platform and translate improvements into new products.
This role provides strategic and technical leadership in defining and achieving assay and product development objectives while ensuring compliance with health authority requirements. The Senior Scientist or Principal Scientist will also contribute to partnering activities with life cycle teams and internal as well as external business partners to drive innovation and product development. This role will drive continuous improvement within product development processes and manage resources to achieve business results within budget. Successful candidates will join an exciting and fast-paced team focused on improving human health worldwide through highly innovative CRISPR and Synthetic Biology-based platforms for molecular diagnostics.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- New Assay and Product Development – Conduct feasibility studies. Develop reagents within design control process and oversee validations. Conduct and oversee research and development of new products, as well as the transfer of products to Operations.
- New Product Planning – Interact with Marketing to set product specifications, timing, resources and provide technical expertise.
- Oversee critical reagent development, validation, and transfer to Operations.
- Project Management – Manage cross-functional teams in the development and commercialization of reagent applications and new product development.
- Direct analytical studies for Marketing and FDA approval and ensure GMP, ISO and IVDD compliant documentation.
- Address strategic and technical issues; assist in preparing departmental budgets and monitoring of department spending.
- Interview and hire staff, provide performance feedback and reviews, counsel, develop, reward, and complete progressive disciplinary action and terminating.
- Responsibilities also include developing workforce planning models and developing skill sets within team to meet future technology requirements.
- Monitor work to ensure quality, and continuously promote First Time Quality.
- Ph.D. in Bioengineering or Life Sciences with six (6) years combined academic and industry experience, or M.S. in Bioengineering or Life Sciences with ten (10) years combined academic and industry experience
- Direct experience in an IVD company.
- Demonstrated record of accomplishments (e.g., scientific publications and issued patents).
- Management experience a plus.
- Strong background in assay development, including nucleic acid manipulation and detection, immunoassay and immunohistochemistry, or in situ hybridization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cell and molecular biology, pathology, histology, or biochemistry with technical aptitude to learn different scientific applications quickly.
- Experienced in IVD product development and FDA submissions.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, creative problem solver in technical areas.
- Familiarity with the various regulatory requirements (GMP, ISO and IVDD).
- Must work well with cross functional teams.
Scientist I, Molecular Diagnostics
Sherlock Biosciences, an exciting new diagnostic company based on next-generation CRISPR and Synthetic Biology technology platforms, is seeking outstanding scientists to work as part of multidisciplinary teams dedicated to the expansion of leading molecular diagnostic technology platforms and the launching molecular diagnostic products across a range of impactful healthcare applications. Successful candidates will contribute to innovations that will boost overall performance and robustness of the platforms and will support new product initiatives through requirement definition, prototype design, reaction optimization, verification, validation, and assay troubleshooting.
Ideal candidates will have prior experience designing, developing, testing, implementing, and supporting molecular diagnostics assay workflows using a requirement-driven approach in a research or industrial environment. Experience working on diagnostics, in particular platform technologies, on cross-functional teams with success translating developments into product features is highly valued. Successful candidates will join an exciting and fast-paced team focused on improving human health worldwide through highly innovative CRISPR and Synthetic Biology-based platforms for molecular diagnostics.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Perform molecular laboratory methods including nucleic acid extraction, reverse transcription, quantitative PCR, and various other molecular diagnostic technologies in support of project goals and objectives.
- Perform primary data analysis of results and provide substantial contributions to internal technical reports and design documentation.
- Independently identify and utilize relevant internal documentation and external publications to optimize procedures and processes.
- Write and review experimental protocols and SOPs, incorporating input from other team members efficiently and effectively.
- Proactively and effectively interact with counterparts across one or more departments to support achievement of project goals.
- Creatively solve problems by using critical thinking skills; address technical issues during assay development.
- Help to design guard-banding parameters, verification tests, validation experiments, and develop effective protocols to rapidly improve overall diagnostic performance.
- Develop methods to translate platform improvements into solutions for IVD products that can be scaled for manufacturing.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. or M.S. degree (+3 years relevant experience) in molecular biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, or a closely-related discipline is required.
- Experience with optimizing molecular diagnostics techniques.
- Experience with data analysis, maintenance of data quality and technical troubleshooting.
- A track record of successfully completing assignments and meeting goals within aggressive timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute effectively to cross-functional process development, improvement, and troubleshooting teams.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with demonstrated track record of successful communication with internal teams and managers.
- Knowledge of statistical process control charts and data interpretation
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
Senior Research Associate
Sherlock Biosciences, an exciting new diagnostic company based on next-generation CRISPR and Synthetic Biology technology platform, is seeking an outstanding Research Associate to work as part of a dynamic team to develop and launch molecular diagnostic products. The successful candidate will execute studies, conduct data analysis, and document results. This role will interact with other groups and functionalities in the research and product development teams. Successful candidates will join an exciting and fast-paced team focused on improving human health worldwide through a highly innovative CRISPR and Synthetic Biology-based platform for molecular diagnostics.
- Conduct laboratory experiments and studies according to approved protocols, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and Work Instruction Documents (WIDs) while maintaining the safety of self and colleagues and the integrity of the data collected.
- Contribute to experimental design, data analysis, critical thinking, and problem-solving to improve methods or procedures.
- Proficiently carry out assignments with guidance in planning, organizing, and meeting key deadlines.
- Support an atmosphere of inclusion and collective contribution to projects and procedures with team.
- Communicate regularly with supervisor to relay project progress, experiment results, and data analysis; openly and thoughtfully discuss challenges.
- Document and record all work in electronic laboratory notebooks and diligently complete other documentation as required for assigned projects/experiments.
Qualifications and Experience:
- M.S or B.S. degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering or related field.
- Industry experience with in vitro diagnostics experience a plus.
- Knowledge and laboratory experience with molecular biology techniques. Strong analytical and quantitative skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Capable of adjusting to dynamic working environment and changing priorities, while ensuring timely completion of assigned tasks.
Strategy and Business Development Analyst/Manager Role Description
The Business Development Manager will support Sherlock’s business development activities as well as corporate strategy. This individual will collaborate with the Research & Development, Finance, Legal and other teams to establish and maintain successful relationships with partners as we build Sherlock’s business. The role will be working in a fast-paced biotech company in Cambridge, MA. This position reports to Sherlock’s Chief Business Officer.
- Working closely with the CBO, leads a range of projects/activities that contribute to the execution of successful, high value BD transactions for Sherlock
- Support potential strategic partnering activities for Sherlock platforms, generating BD materials and presentations, and coordinating due diligence by closely working with internal team
- Conducts related competitive analysis, business/financial analysis to support the transaction, and strategy development processes as needed
- As a BD team member, contributes to overall BD and R&D strategy for company growth by analyzing scientific and industry trends
- As needed, lead scouting effort for external growth opportunities, by organizing and project managing the search & evaluation process
- Bachelor’s degree in science or business with at least 1~3 years of Business Development, VC, consulting, banking and/or drug research and development experience or Bachelor’s degree with 5 years of equivalent work experience. Advanced technical or business degree a plus.
- Strong communication/project management/organizational skills across different functions within the organization, including Research and Development, Competitive Intelligence, Legal, CMC, and Finance
- Good knowledge of diagnostics, or drug development and commercialization processes
- Experience in search and evaluation of innovative technologies is a plus, but not mandatory
- The ability to work independently as well as coordinate across functions